Tuesday, March 10, 2009

We will miss you...

"Good-night, sweet princess; And flights of angels sing thee to they rest"
My grandpa Dabb use to say this line from Shakespeare's "Hamlet" all the time. I to this day can still hear him say "Good-night, sweet prince; And flights of angels sing thee to they rest". I debated about doing a post because I am not sure I can handle crying any more. Yesterday we had to put our sweet Zoiee to sleep. For those of you who don't know we got our two cats Zoiee and Chloee almost 10 years ago exactly. These cats became our babies when we couldn't have any. Zoiee started losing weight over the last few months and I had noticed this and was concerned and about a month ago she got very jaundiced and very lethargic and stopped eating. Then she kind of perked up for a bit she would move around and eat a little and drink a little and really put up a good fight but she was too sick to fight for long. Over the weekend she started to slip back into her lethargy and by Sunday we had decided that we just couldn't stand to see her suffer any longer. So yesterday morning Shawn called the vet and I took her over. The vet said pretty much what I thought he would, that we could run all sorts of tests but the end result would probably be the same but he was willing to do whatever we wanted. Not wanting our "baby" to suffer any more then she was I told him that we were ready to let her go. The snow thankfully held off until we could get her buried. She will truly be missed and will always hold a special place in our hearts.
I will miss her "tucking" us in at night, a odd little ritual that she had every night of jumping up on the bed as we got in bed and spending a few minutes with each of us before either laying on the bottom of the bed or disappearing. I will miss her sweet little meow that she would make with out moving her mouth. Her love of rubber bands and her amazing ability to sniff them out, and how she could launch them across the room. Her ability to seemingly "teleport" one minute she was just suddenly by you and the next she was gone just as quickly. Her love of wet towels, the fact that she loved to lick the shower door after we would shower, or when I would shower in the evenings and lay down in bed with wet hair how she would love to come and lay on my hair. How when I was sick and would lay down in bed to nap she would come and sleep by me. I will even miss the drippy nose that she would get when she was purring.

Yesterday was a roller coaster of emotion there was a lot of highs and lows. I was to end on a happier note and tell you of the "highs" we had yesterday. Alex had a major break through with potty training. He told us twice yesterday that he need to go potty! One of them was even after we had put him to bed (we are still putting him in pull ups at night to be on the safe side). He came out and told us that he needed to go potty so we ran him in and he went then went right back to bed. I was so proud! I see him growing and changing every day he is truly becoming a little boy! It's so nice to have those bright moments especially when everything has seemed so dreary.

3 comments:

Shawn Anderson said...

Okay now you got me crying at work. =)

I'll miss you Zoiee!

Nicholle said...

Oh sorry, loosing a pet like that is truly like loosing one of the family. I had a cat for like 12-13 years, then she disappeared, probably went somewhere to die. Some days I still miss her.

Good job Alex though, potty training is rough stuff.

Mel said...

We have not have good luck with pets at our house. 10 years would be more than a miracle for us...it is very hard to lost them. At least you could take care of her the best way...ours usually get hit on the highway...very hard. So sorry!