Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Sad state of reality

On Sunday in our Sunday School class our lesson was on "Honoring your Parents". One of the "activities" for the kids was to have them write a letter to their parents telling them how much they appreciate them. We teach the 12,13 & 14 year olds and lessons are always hit and miss but the kids really seemed to enjoy this activity. After the kids finished their letters I gave them all envelopes and told them to seal the envelopes and address them so I could mail them to their parents. 3/4 of the class didn't know how to properly address an envelope. These are kids that are in 6th, 7th and 8th grade and they don't know how to address an envelope! I was completely baffled by this as was Shawn. The funny thing in all of this is that I so rarely mail things any more that the stamps I had were not the current rate!

2 comments:

Nicholle said...

How funny mail is becoming a thing of the past.

Mel said...

I think that is a very sad thing! Yes email and texting are much faster, but it's very sad that many of today's youth can't communicate verbally because of such technology. I love that my fourth grader has a pen pal to be able to learn those skills as they write back and forth.